SA's best learners tests
What can we help you find?
Get it right first time with our FREE tests!
So... what are the K53 Learner & Driving Exams?
What Are The Requirements
A learners licence is a driving permit that allows you to drive a vehicle on a public road under the supervision of a licenced driver. There are different categories of learner licences you can apply for; these are for motor cycles, motor cars and heavy goods vehicles.
- You must be 16 years or older to apply to ride a motorcycle with a 125cc (or less) engine and a light motor vehicle (less than 3500kg)
- You need to be 17 years or older to apply to ride a motorcycle with an engine over 125cc
- You need to be 18 years or older to apply for all other motor vehicles (more than 3500kg)
You will need to present the following documents when applying for a learners licence:
- Identity card or passport
- 2 Recent passport size photographs (colour or black and white)
- Pass the eye exam conducted at the testing centre.
- You will need to fill in the Learners Licence Form (LL1) and pay the booking fee when applying for the learners licence. Once you pass, you will have to pay the issue fee to get your learners licence.
The fees are not the same and differ from province to province in South Africa.
What can disqualify me?
- If you are suffering from a medical condition such as epilepsy, defective vision or diabetes
- You have been disqualified by a court of law from driving any motor vehicle and the court order is still in force
- If your licence has been cancelled or suspended and the order is still in force
- If you already are in possession of the same category of driving licence already issued in South Africa
Be totally prepared & pass with ease … without the stress
Optimised for success
Tests for all learners
How A Learner Is Tested
A learners licence test is designed to test your understanding and knowledge of the various road signs and markings, traffic signals, as well as the controls of the vehicle you will be driving, whether it is a motorcycle, car, or heavy vehicle.
The theory exam will contain three sets of questions with multiple answer options; you will have to select the correct answer.
Some driving licence test centres use computers, whereas other centres require you to complete the test using a test paper and pen. When booking it is recommended that you enquire whether you will be doing the test on a computer or on paper, so you can be properly prepared.
With the paper and pen scenario, you will be given a book of questions and an answer sheet which includes a book and chart with all the road signs, road markings and vehicle controls.
The examiner will give instructions on which set of questions to answer, depending on the category of vehicle you will be driving. If you have any doubts or require clarification, you can ask the examiner before you begin.
The number of questions and pass marks vary from time to time. However, the exam normally has 68 questions. These questions are divided into sections as follows:
- Rules of the road: there are 30 questions in this category with 22 being the pass mark.
- Vehicle controls: there are 8 questions in this section, the required pass mark is 6.
- Road signs, road markings and traffic signals: there are 30 questions in this category with a pass mark of 23.
It is important to note that the pass marks and the allocation of questions may change from time to time.
Each of the questions will have at least 3 possible correct answers to choose from. It is recommended that you go through the questions carefully to avoid any mistakes by marking the wrong answer.
You are given an hour to complete the exam which is marked while you wait and the results given to you immediately.
Before You Take Your Learners Licence
- A learners licence is mandatory for anyone applying for a driving licence in South Africa.
- This test involves knowing the basic rules of the road and the controls of the vehicle.
- Once you pass you will be permitted to drive under the supervision of a licenced driver.
What Are My Chances Of Passing?
- Passing is easy if you go about it the right way, but chances are that you are not sure what kind of questions will come your way.
- You will also need to make sure that you have learned everything properly so that when you take the exam you will pass.
Our Practice Tests
We have put together a couple of tests that will allow you to practice for the real test.
Just buying the book and trying to study for the test is not going to help much, because you really do not know what to expect during your test.
With Our System, You Will Have Access To:
- Real questions that will come up in your exam
- Complete coverage on all sections
- Various quizzes covering all sections
- Questions on road signs
- Questions on road markings
- Questions on road signals
- Rules of the road
- Controls of the vehicle
How To Prepare
Preparing for your test is important. Over 50% of people fail the first time. However, with proper preparation you can easily pass.
We know how important it is for you to pass the test and get your licence, and that is why we have come up with a unique system that is designed to help you prepare yourself well and pass your test.
Our system is unique in that it covers all the important areas that you need to know before you take your exam. You can buy the book and try to learn everything, but that will not completely prepare you to take the actual test.
Our system will help you understand all the road signs, rules and marking and prepare you to take your test and pass.
When you sign up, you will receive access to the practice test papers on our system. These tests have been prepared by a past examiner.